Tuesday, March 12, 2013

There's a Lot of Things Up There

I was told that the child's voice in my last piece was the most interesting. I agreed. When recording my original Pluto story with seven-year-old Alex, I was surprised to find out that he had no idea what Pluto was. But being born after Pluto was deemed a dwarf planet, why would he? It sparked my interest in finding out what kids do know, or don't know, about the universe. I reinterviewed Alex, along with two other students from my mom's first grade class to find out. I think their "insight" will make for interesting commentary in the planetarium setting, but I'm wondering if the piece could benefit from the addition of music. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. "Mexico" Hahaha!
    I love this! So adorable, who doesn't love hearing kid logic?
    I do think this could benefit from some music, mostly because there doesn't seem to be a structure to it right now. It's kid's musings, which is great, but they aren't obviously organized. I think music could help chunk it and somehow add some context or meaning. I LOVE the ending, what a philosophical little kid haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey,
    Wow, those voices are so sweet!
    I agree with Paula on the music and about "chunking" the material. Think about images and images that would be nice for us to linger on, and give us some space to imagine....
    Once you add music, there may be some sections you may want to take out or trim.
    (I know, it's all so sweet, it probably feels impossible to cut!)
    I would caution again music that is overly sweet or cute. Experiment with some different options and see what they do.

    Keep going!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete